On May 14, 1607, the Virginia Company explorers landed on Jamestown Island, to establish the first Virginia English colony on the banks of the James River. Recent discovery of the exact location of the first settlement and its fort indicates that the actual settlement site was in a secure place, away from the channel, where Spanish ships, could not fire point blank into the Fort. In 1893 Jamestown was owned by Mr. And Mrs. Edward Barney. The Barneys gave 22.5 acres of land, including the 1639 church tower, to the APVA. The remaining acreage on the island was acquired by the National Park Service in 1934 as part of the Colonial National Historical Park. Today, Jamestown is jointly operated by the APVA and NPS. For more information on the site, archaeological dig and tour, call 757 229-1733 or visit the website.