The oldest remaining structure on the Virginia Beach oceanfront, Dewitt Cottage was built in 1895 by Bernard Peabody Holland, who called it "The Brick House." B.P. served two terms as mayor of Virginia Beach, from 1906 to 1908 as the newly-incorporated town's first mayor, and again from 1913 to 1916. Purchased in 1909 by Cornelius deWitt, the cottage was expanded in 1917 to twenty-two rooms and remained in the deWitt family until 1988. With fourteen-inch-thick brick walls, twenty-two rooms, a basement and an attic, this house is an example of a typical early beach house. It is now home to the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum and the Back Bay Wildfowl Guild, Inc. (a non-profit organization). For more information call 757 437-8432 or visit the website.