Adam Thoroughgood arrived in Virginia in 1621 as an indentured servant and in 1636 was granted a land parcel. The house dates circa 1680 and was probably built by one of his grandsons, although recent archaeology suggests it may have been built as late as 1720. It is one of the oldest brick houses from our early Colonial period and provides insight into the lifestyle of the gentry in Princess Anne County. Restored in 1957, today it is a museum and is open to the public. For more information and hours, call 757 431-4000 or visit the website.